One of the most attractive things for a woman to wear is confidence. There’s nothing more confident than a strong, graceful woman rocking a great suit on the beach or at the pool. Barre class is one of the best workouts to sculpt a bikini body and these 4 Bar Method exercises are the best of the best! All of these exercises work multiple muscle groups in your body, as well as your core, resulting in a more efficient and full-body workout. This will ensure you feel and look good next time you slip on your suit!
1. “U-shaped bent elbow lifts” to tone your back and shoulders
Taking time to train your back and shoulders will leave you looking taller and leaner. When your posture improves, so does the shape of your body. U-shaped bent elbow lifts sculpt your arms, shoulders, and back muscles in one fell swoop. This exercise also teaches you to work from your center and engage your core for more stability. You’ll feel the burn immediately and see the results quickly!
- Pick up a set of 2-4 lb weights
- Bend your elbows to 90 degrees and raise your arms to shoulder height
- Draw your weights out & down in an arching motion to behind your waist while maintaining the 90 degree bend in your arms
- Reverse the direction back to shoulder height
- Continue for 2-3 minutes
2. “Pretzel” to carve your waistline and glutes
Most of us fall into two categories: 1. We love our backside or 2. We hate our backside. If you fall into category two, it’s time to bring sexy back with our favorite booty lifter – pretzel! Pretzel is the triple threat! It carves your glutes, tones your hamstrings, and whittles your waist. So, go ahead and buy the Brazilian cut bottoms because less is more on the beach!
- Sit down and place one leg in front of you at a 90 degree angle and the other leg behind you at a 90 degree angle
- Place your supporting hand in line with your front knee
- Lean your torso away from the working side at a 45 degree angle
- Slide your back leg in line with your hip until it locks in place. Press your hips forward
- Using your glutes, lift your working leg off the floor
- Lift 20 times & press back 20 times using your glutes. Repeat 3 times
3. “Narrow V” thigh work to narrow your thighs
Working your thighs on a regular basis is required to feel and look good in your bathing suit. Narrow V thigh work is great for narrowing and elongating the look of your thighs. Not only that, but it spikes your heart rate and works your core muscles. You will experience a full-body burn that will make you want to ditch your cover-up next time you take a stroll down the beach.
- Press your heels together and open the balls of your feet 2-3 inches apart into a narrow v shape.
- Raise your heels about an inch off the floor, and bend your knees and come down to your lowest point.
- Relax your glutes and calves.
- Move down an inch, up an inch by bending your knees. Do 10 reps slow and 20 reps at pulse speed. Repeat 3 times
4. “Low curl” to define your six-pack abs
There’s no denying that your abdominals are on display in a bikini. Having toned, flat abs will surely make you feel more confident on the beach. The Bar Method incorporates several great abdominal exercises, however low curl is one of the most well-rounded targeting all four main abdominal muscles. You can either hold the position and breathe, or add little isometric curls for a deeper burn! Let go from the backs of your thighs for more of a challenge and you’ll aerobically burn away the fat calories!
- Come down onto your elbows (on a yoga mat or soft surface)
- Grip your glutes and anchor your low back down
- Hold onto the back of your thighs and bend your elbows to the side
- Lift both feet off the floor to a tabletop position
- Use your biceps to bend forward as much as you can
- Do 10 curls slow and 20 fast. Repeat 3 times
Now that your body is ready for the bikini, treat yourself to a new suit from one of our favorite brands below:
Marysia is high fashion swim, bikinis and resort wear for women and children. Designed in LA, the fashion forward collection is stylish and chic.
No one does beachwear better than Australian brand Zimmermann. When you need some fun in the sun, reach for the creative offerings dreamt up by the Zimmermann sisters. From cut-out one-piece swimsuits to printed string bikinis, there’s a style to suit every body shape out there, so there’s no excuse not to book that next vacation in the sun.
Beach born and city raised, TAVIK’s swimwear features eye-catching silhouettes, patterns and colors perfect for any occasion.
Mi Ola are sexy bikinis that stay on! Whether you surf, swim or paddle, you don’t have to worry about your suit moving around on you when you wear Mi Ola.
The perfect low-cut Italian bikini and the classic Brazilian fit. Acacia mixes effortless femininity with sophistication.
A sun-kissed California lifestyle brand whose love of the seaside drives them daily. L-Space designs focus on that chic, yet unfussy coastal – cool lifestyle, making waves on and off the beach.
Designed for women who appreciate beauty, quality and attention to detail, ViX combines the bold sexiness of Brasil with the coastal allure of California. Vibrant colors along with unexpected details, collide with charming prints and solids to create swim, resortwear and accessories that celebrate the sensuality of a woman’s body.
Classic look, reversible styles and dependable quality are what make J. Crew the go-to swimwear brand this summer and every summer.