The Bar Method Bethesda’s physical location has closed permanently. Please click “Class Schedule” to view our robust virtual class schedule, or visit our sister studio in North Potomac, MD!
About the studio
The Bar Method Bethesda is a boutique fitness studio offering barre classes for students of all levels. The signature method uses your own body weight, the ballet barre and a few props to create a transformative workout that results in long, lean sculpted muscles. Not only does it reshape your entire body, but it allows you to channel your inner strength and leave class feeling strong, confident and poised. Highly-trained instructors customize the exercises to ensure they are safe and effective for any age and every body, including modifications for pregnant women and students with injuries. Our staff and community are here to support you from the moment you walk through the door.
We are located in the heart of Bethesda - close to the Bethesda metro. Our studio features a gorgeous workout space and a locker room with toiletries. We are open 7 days a week. There is a Montgomery County parking garage on our block with $1 per hour parking, and free on weekends!
Services & Amenities
- Beauty Bar
- Waiting Area
About the owner
Kate Arnold, owner of The Bar Method DC, Bethesda, and North Potomac, is a graduate of Duke Law School and The University of Chicago Booth School of Business. Kate discovered The Bar Method while living in Chicago and fell in love with it instantly. The Bar Method changed her outlook on health and fitness in addition to transforming her body. An immediate “addict” of The Bar Method, Kate opened the DC studio in 2011, because she couldn’t imagine living in a city where The Bar Method didn’t exist, and opened the Bethesda location in 2013.
- We recommend making a reservation online to guarantee a spot in class. Reservations may be made two weeks in advance.
- Classes fill up quickly, but spaces will open up as clients reschedule. If you’d like to attend a class that is full, please add your name to the waitlist. When other clients cancel, you will be notified via email if you are put into the class. If you have opted-out of our email list, you will not receive these emails. You are responsible for your reservation if you are put into the class from the waitlist. If you do not cancel your class and do not attend, our standard cancellation policy will apply.
- You could be added to the class up to two hours minutes prior to class. If you no longer want to be put in the class, please cancel your waitlist spot so that someone else can take the spot. We have clients that can get to the studio with very short notice. If this is not the case for you, please carefully manage your waitlisted reservations.
- Note: You can be in one class and on the waitlist for another- however, you are responsible for managing your reservations and following the policy of cancelling 12 hours before class starts. You will not be able to register/waitlist for two overlapping classes at the same time.
- To view your waitlisted reservations, check your waitlist status, or cancel a waitlisted spot – go to your Bar Method account and click on MY INFO and then MY SCHEDULE. If you have any waitlisted reservations, there will be a link to the WAITLIST in the top right hand corner of your schedule. If the link is not there, you are not on any waitlists.
- Classes that appear in MY SCHEDULE are reserved classes. This will include classes where you got in off of the waitlist. If the class says “Waitlist-Unconfirmed”, you are IN the class. You may also call the studio to check your status.
- You may take only one in-studio class per day.
- If your membership is frozen, you will not be able to register for class. Please email [email protected] to unfreeze.
- Our cancellation policy is 12 hours before class. If you cancel within that window, you will be charged a late cancel fee of $20.
- If you are a no show to a reserved class, you will be charged a $25 no show fee.
- If you use a class package or single class, you must cancel prior to 12 hours before the start of class or you will lose one class if you late cancel/no show.
- You may cancel online. We do not accept email cancellations.
- First time students may not enter a class late. Arriving 10 minutes early is highly recommended.
- Doors will be locked at the start time of class, and therefore no late entry into the building can be permitted.
- Upon entering class, lift your knees 40 times to warm up before joining in.
- Please wear exercise pants that cover the knees, a top that cover the midriff, and socks that cover the entire foot (toeless socks and ballet shoes are not permitted).
- Students may bring their own socks from home, or purchase Bar Method socks with sticky grips at the studio.
- Only water in capped bottles is permitted in the exercise studios.
- Colored liquids are not permitted in the studios.
- Cell phones are not permitted in the exercise studios. Lockers are provided with keys and we ask that you leave your phone in a locker along with the rest of your belongings.
- Gum, candy, and food is not permitted in the exercise studios.
- Your studio space will be clearly defined, and we ask that you remain six feet apart from others in the studio room and in the lobby.
- If you are pregnant we highly advise, but do not require, that you obtain a doctors note clearing you to exercise with us.
- After 20 weeks, we require that pregnant clients modify certain exercises for your safety and comfort. Your instructor will guide you through these modifications.
- At any point in your pregnancy, please avoid hanging on the stall bar; cobra stretch; and split stretches.
- Clients must be at least 13 years old to attend class.
- Clients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult to their first class and the adult must sign our client waiver.
- Please notify your instructors of any illness or injury that may impact your ability to exercise.
- We will be happy to work with you and offer you any necessary modifications.
- We do not provide child care. Children cannot be left in the lobby while a client takes class.
There is a Montgomery County parking garage on the same block as the studio. Parking is $1 per hour during the week and free on weekends! You can enter the garage on Woodmont Avenue or Old Georgetown Road.
- Bar Star members receive one complimentary membership freeze for every six months of active membership. The maximum duration of a Bar Star freeze is 3 months. Additional Bar Star freezes may be purchased for $50 by contacting the studio.
- VIP and Club Bar Unlimited members are allowed to freeze their membership at no charge twice per calendar year. Freezes may last between 10-30 days. Additional 10-30 day freezes may be purchased for $25 by contacting the studio.
- Class packages expire 1 year from purchase date.
- All classes are non-transferrable and valid only at the DC, Bethesda & North Potomac studios.
- Bar Star members receive three complimentary guest passes per membership year. To use a guest pass, please email [email protected]. Members must attend class with their guest.
- VIP and Club Bar Unlimited members receive six complimentary guest passes per calendar year that can be used for first time clients only. To use a guest pass, please email [email protected] Members must attend class with their guest.
- Guest passes do not roll over year to year.