Detroit - Downtown
Detroit, MI 48226
About the STUDIO
The Bar Method Detroit - Downtown is a boutique fitness studio offering barre classes for students of all levels. The signature method uses your own body weight, the ballet barre and a few props to create a transformative workout that results in long, lean sculpted muscles. Not only does it reshape your entire body, but it allows you to channel your inner strength and leave class feeling strong, confident and poised. Highly-trained instructors customize the exercises to ensure they are safe and effective for any age and every body, including modifications for pregnant women and students with injuries. Our staff and community are here to support you from the moment you walk through the door.
We are located at the corner of Shelby Street & West Congress Street in the heart of Downtown Detroit. The space includes 2 workout studios, men's & women's locker rooms with showers, a spacious lobby with retail and a coffee bar. Enter the building on Shelby Street & use the call box to gain access to the 3rd floor. At this time, we recommend street parking.
Services & Amenities
- Beauty Bar
- Waiting Area
Sign Up Today
About the Owners
Christina Carroll lives in downtown Detroit and teaches regularly at The Bar Method Detroit studio. A native of Chicago, Christina moved to Washington DC in 2007 to work as a press secretary on Capitol Hill. While there, a close friend introduced her to The Bar Method and she immediately became hooked on the workout, which she found both mentally and physically challenging. When she and her husband relocated to Detroit in 2016, Christina knew she couldn’t live without The Bar Method, so she’d just have to open one! Christina graduated from Northeastern University and has an M.B.A from Georgetown.
Amelia Patt Zamir, a metro Detroit native, has focused her career on the city's revitalization through various business pursuits. Amelia discovered Bar Method while living and working in Washington DC where she took her first Bar Method class and immediately fell in love. As a dedicated Bar Method client in NYC, she decided to bring Bar Method to her hometown and began laying the groundwork in 2015. Amelia is responsible for Bar Method Detroit's finance, accounting, planning and strategy. She holds B.A. from the University of Michigan and a MSRED and a MARCH from Columbia University in New York.
Connect with The Bar Method Detroit - Downtown
Be the first to hear about promos, events, studio updates, and other news!
- We recommend reserving classes online or via The Bar Method app in order to guarantee your spot in class. Reservations are studio specific & can be made up to 2 weeks in advance.
- Classes fill up quickly, but spaces will open up as clients reschedule. If you’d like to attend a class that is full, please add your name to the waitlist. As soon as a spot opens up in class, you will be notified via email that you have been put into that class. If you have opted out of our email list, you will not receive these emails. You are responsible for your reservation if you are put into class from the waitlist. If you do not cancel your class and do not attend, our standard cancellation policy will apply.
- You could be added into class up to 60 minutes prior to class. If you no longer want to be put into class, please cancel your waitlist spot so that someone else can take the spot. We have clients that can get to the studio with very short notice. If this is not the case for you, please carefully manage your waitlist reservations.
- In the event that there is no one signed up for class 60 minutes before the class is scheduled to start, the class will be cancelled and the cancellation will be reflected on the online schedule. Please consult the schedule before coming the the studio if you have not signed up in advance.
- When you arrive at the studio, please check-in at the front desk. Reservations will be honored only up to the start of class. If you do not arrive prior to the start of class, your reservation will be given away to anyone on the waitlist.
- If you are on the waitlist for an early morning class, please call the studio before class to be sure of whether or not you made it into the class.
- If you cannot attend class, cancel your class online, on The Bar Method app, or call the studio to avoid being charged for a no-show. All classes must be cancelled at least 1 hour in advance to avoid a penalty.
- If you are using an unlimited class package (Founding Membership, Club Bar or Club Bar Lite), a cancellation after the above cutoff window results in a $5.00 late-cancel fee. If you do not show for class, you will lose one day on your membership package.
- If you are using a class package, a cancellation after the above cutoff window or a no-show results in the loss of one class.
- You must cancel online or by calling the studio 313-242-1400.
- First time students may not enter a class late. Arriving 15 minutes early is highly recommended.
- Returning students may enter prior to the end of warmup. Students may not enter class once Stretch at the Bar has begun.
- Upon entering class, lift your knees 30 times to warm up before joining in.
- Please wear exercise pants that cover the knees (or wear compression/bike shorts under above-knee shorts), a top that cover the midriff, and socks that cover the entire foot.
- Students may bring their own socks from home, or purchase Bar Method socks with sticky grips at the studio.
- Please do not bring glass into the exercise studios.
- Only clear liquids are allowed in the studios.
- Gum, candy & food are not permitted in the studios.
- Please do not bring cell phones into the exercise studio. Lockers are provided with keys and we ask that you leave your phone in a locker along with the rest of your belongings.
- We provide towels without charge. Hand towels and bath towels are available in both locker rooms. Please leave your towel in the hamper on your way out.
- Disruptive students may be asked to leave. Please be respectful of fellow students and your instructor.
- Do not leave water bottles, towels, etc. under/on the barre before class starts for purposes of saving a place after warmup.
- Pregnant clients must be able to produce a note from their doctor allowing them to take strengthening and stretching classes.
- It is strongly encouraged that pregnant clients meet with their instructor prior to the start of class to go through basic modifications.
- No clients are admitted before they reach 13 years of age.
- Clients under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Please notify front desk staff and instructors of any illness or injury that may impact your ability to exercise. In some cases, a doctor’s note may be required to allow you to take class.
- Just a cold? Please stay home, rest & avoid spreading the virus to others.
- We do not provide childcare. Children under the age of 18 cannot be left in the lobby while a client takes class.
- We do not currently have dedicated parking for the studio. We recommend street parking using the ParkDetroit app, but be aware that there is no parking on Shelby Street during rush hour (between 7:00 & 9:00 AM and between 4:00 & 6:00 PM). We are currently in the process of identifying dedicated parking within walking distance of the studio.
- Founding Members, Club Bar Members & Club Bar Lite Members are allowed to freeze their memberships twice per year for up to 30 days. Beyond that, a fee of $30 is required each time you freeze your membership (3 paid freezes per year maximum).
- 10 Class package sessions must be used within 6 months of purchase.
- 20 Class package sessions must be used within 12 months of purchase.
- All sales on Bar Method classes are final.
- Retail items may be returned within 5 days of purchase, unworn, with tags still on.
- Founding Members, Club Bar Members & Club Bar Lite Members receive one complimentary guest pass per month to for new clients. To use a guest pass, please email [email protected] Members must attend with their guest.