Exclusive Offer 50% Off One Month Of Unlimited Classes
Is The Bar Method “Barre Fitness?”
An editor at a national fitness magazine contacted our office a few weeks ago to ask if I’d contribute to an upcoming article. Usually, I’m delighted when the press calls, but this time, the subject of the article gave me pause. “Would I write a piece about the benefits of barre fitness workouts? the editor asked. Her question presupposed that barre fitness workouts share the same benefits and that as creator of The Bar Method I would be a good person to speak about them. The truth is, I am not an expert on barre fitness workouts, not having taken more than a few of them, and do not consider myself qualified to talk about their benefits. I understood where the editor was coming from, but I turned her down.
Now if shed asked me to talk specifically about The Bar Method, I would have felt confident about giving her this list of its benefits:
- The Bar Method adheres to the principles of exercise physiology and was designed under the guidance of physical therapists. It is thereby safe for the joints and highly efficient at changing the body.
- Its workout is mindful. Students experience a heightened mental focus during the class, which helps them to precisely target muscles and gives them increased self-confidence and well-being.
- Its technique places a special emphasis on posture and good alignment.
- Its students are multi-generational. The class gives both 20-year-olds and 70-year olds a challenging, result-oriented workout.
- Its teachers receive among the best training and ongoing guidance in the fitness industry.
- Its teaching is consistent across all of its studios.
- Its studios are beautiful and comfortable environments.
- Its desk and teaching staff are welcoming and supportive.
- Its student communities are closely bonded and passionate about The Bar Method workout.
- Its studio owners are all teachers themselves and serve as mentors and guides for their own teachers, a system that sustains an overall high quality of teaching throughout The Bar Method.
- Its brand continues to introduce new and innovative Bar Method workouts.
Are these Bar Method benefits also “barre fitness” benefits? I have no evidence that they are. Our students rarely mention the bar (or “barre”) when they tell us why they love The Bar Method. They talk about the results, the quality experience and the supportive community. Take, for example, the students’ comments in this three-minute video recently posted by our Seattle studio, which I admired and share with you here:
All considered, barre fitness may not even be the best classification for The Bar Method. It might be a better fit in an upcoming fitness group called “studio workouts,” a collection of service-focused brands that has gained a reputation for giving its students personal attention, community, results, and a well-honed, well delivered experience. But then, where else but from The Bar Method can students achieve supremely sculpted arms, beautiful posture and increased flexibility? With so many benefits to be gained from taking its class, it may simply be the best workout in any category, bar none 🙂
If the thought of helping people change their lives from the outside in resonates with you and the thought of creating a community where people feel welcomed and encouraged inspires you, then you might be just who we are looking for. Email us at f[email protected] or fill out our online inquiry form to find out just what it takes to be a Bar Method studio owner!